I received a tax bill on a motor vehicle that I have sold. What do I need to do?
  • When you sell or dispose of a vehicle, you are required to surrender the license plate within 30 days of sale to a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Office.
    • If you surrendered the license plate to DMV, you may request a refund from the Auditor’s office for the unused months remaining on the registration.
  • If you transferred the license plate to a new vehicle, refer to the FAQ regarding transferring license plates.
  • If you are transferring your vehicle license plate within the last 90 days of the expiration date, you may have problems with the renewal unless all paperwork has been processed timely with DMV.
  • Prior to transferring the license plate to your new vehicle, you should have a new registration decal on the license plate.

Show All Answers

1. How do you determine what my motor vehicle is worth?
2. What is the assessment ratio on motor vehicles in South Carolina?
3. When are vehicle taxes due?
4. How do I get a high-mileage adjustment?
5. When I bought my car, the dealership told me they would take care of the taxes and tags. Why did you send me a tax bill?
6. I received a tax bill on a motor vehicle that I have sold. What do I need to do?
7. If I want to transfer my license plate to a replacement vehicle, what do I need to do?
8. If I move out of this state, what should I do with my South Carolina license plate?
9. How do I apply for an active-duty military exemption for my vehicle(s)?
10. How do I apply for the senior citizen discount?